Email Password remember me in this computer

This website is better viewed with
FIREFOX
or GOOGLE CHROME
Review www.t-globe.com on alexa.com

Phetchaburi


Destination: Phetchaburi

Traditional Thailand at its best

Total Page Views for Phetchaburi: 76,437 - Views this week: 76,437
Phetchaburi (also Phetburi, Bhetchaburi) is a traditional and less touristy city with 40,000 inhabitants, 135 km south of Bangkok. If you can do without English speaking guides and European food, and you are interested in culture, you can spend some exciting days here. Phetchaburi has never been devastated by wars or natural disasters, so it has grown organically over the centuries. The inner city presents itself as Thailand at its best.
This city offering over 30 temples from various stages of history is also a good option as a day trip from Hua Hin.




Map of the City of Phetchaburi



There are 31 temples in Phetchaburi town which can be explored in the city area alone.  All these temples are displayed on our Phetchaburi map.
The most attractive temples in Phetchaburi are: Wat Mahathat to the west of the center with a very active religious life, Wat Yai Suwannaram in the center and the ruins of Wat Kamphaeng Laeng to the east of the center. These three temples are described here.
For a temple tour to the 8 main temples please check out the special page Main Temples and for visiting the most interesting temples in Phetchaburi by bicycle please use our page More Temples.

Temple
>>
Wat Mahathat - Attractions
Not Rated
Wat Mahathat *** (วัดมหาธาตุวรวิหาร -อี๊ด) (Phetchaburi)

Wat Mahathat Worawihan (its full name) in the city center is more than 1,000 years old. In recent years Wat Mahathat was restored and enlarged. From the outside the prang with its five tall, corn-shaped stupas as well as the chedi with the four-headed Brahma gives an impressive sight.

The main hall is painted with scenes from the Ramayana and is used by many people for praying and offering sacrifice. Almost every morning various groups perform temple dances in front of this building. A large monastery area and a school are adjoined to the temple. 





Temple
>>
Wat Yai Suwannaram - Attractions
Not Rated
Wat Yai Suwannaram+++ (วัดใหญ่สุวรรณาราม -อี๊ด) (Phetchaburi)

Wat Yai Suwannaram dates from the Ayutthaya period. It was renovated during the reign of King Sua or King Si Sanphet VII of Ayutthaya. It houses many beautiful wooden buildings. The central windowless bot's interior walls are decorated with over 300-year-old wall paintings showing among others, mythical creatures. You can ask to open the door. The Wiharn features particularly beautiful wooden entrance gates which are decorated with carved and gilded flower motifs.

The legendary axe mark and the magnificent front door panels are the most beautiful and perfectly carved gilt work in this temple. It is believed that Burmese soldiers left an axe mark on the door panel. The Holy Sermon Hall was built in a classical style. There are some valuable religious artifacts and murals remaining on the wooden walls. The extraordinary three-pole library is built on three poles in a pond. It is used for keeping religious scripts out of the reach of insects.

Wat Yai is located on Phong Suriya Road, about 1 km. from the City Hall.

Wat Yai is located on Phong Suriya Road, about 1 km. from the City Hall.





text


text


text


Wat Kamphaeng Laeng -Id (วัดกำแพงแลง -อี๊ด) (Phetchaburi)

This temple was formerly a Khmer sanctuary in Hinduism, but adapted into a Buddhist temple in the Mahayana Sect and Theravada Sect, respectively. Originally it comprised 5 laterite prang towers; only 4 of them remain at present. It is assumed that each tower was dedicated to and housed an image of a Hindu god; such as Shiva, Visnu, Brahma and Uma.
This is based on the fact that an image of the Goddess Uma or Parvati was discovered in a tumbled tower in 1956. When it was adapted to become a Buddhist temple, an ordination hall was constructed. However, the original surroundings were slightly changed as evident from the remaining laterite wall.  

The five prangs in Wat Kamphaeng Laeng were constructed during the Khmer rule from 1157– 1207. Each of the four preserved towers houses a Brahman deity, presumably Indra, Narain, Brahma as well as Uma, whose statue has been found in the destroyed prang. The old complex made of sandstone has been converted into a Buddhist temple.

It is located on Phra Song Road, some 2 kms. from the City Hall.

It is located on Phra Song Road, some 2 kms. from the City Hall.


 
Building
>>
Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet Palace - Attractions
Not Rated
Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet Palace (พระรามราชนิเวศน์ (วังบ้านปืน) -อี๊ด) (Phetchaburi)

Ban Puen Palace was constructed from 1909 to 1916 by a German architect in European style. It served as a residence for King Rama V during the rainy season.

The Magnificent Baroque-style Palace of King Chulalongkorn, Rama V, known as Ban Puen Palace.
King Rama V had it constructed for his retreat in rainy seasons. The palace has adopted the modern European architecture designed by the German architect Karl Dohring with his countryman, Dr. Bayer, as the engineer. The palace was named Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet in 1918 to serve as a reception hall for state visitors. Later, King Rama VII turned it into the location of the Boy Scouts Commanding School, Agricultural Teachers Training School, and Subdistrict Elementary School.



Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet is located in the south of Phetchaburi city.


Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet is located in the south of Phetchaburi city.


New to t-Globe?
Register for free to get the full power of this web site!
Name
Email
Password
Confirm Password

Registered members will be able to:
  • use our Interactive t-Maps
  • see Business Neighborhoods
  • print a customized PDF Guidebook
  • get discount coupons for hotels, restaurants and other services
  • take notes and save them for future use
  • keep track of visited pages